Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thai-Style Halibut with Coconut-Curry Broth

Here's another Ellie Krieger. Obviously I like her recipes :) This is kind of a "go to" recipe for me if I want to make something the hubs with like. The curry is spicy, the coconut milk is creamy, and the cilantro is nice and fresh.
I have actually never made it with halibut because I tend to buy tilapia, which is a little less expensive. But seeing as it's tasty with the tilapia I imagine it's just as good with halibut. Also, you can easily substitute chicken (which I've done and it's delicious), you just have to increase the cooking time accordingly.
Thank goodness FN takes picture of their food, or I'd never post on this blog...

Ingredients

2 teaspoons vegetable oil
4 shallots, finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
2 1/2 teaspoons red curry paste*, or 2 teaspoons curry powder (I've never used curry powder because I don't like it would be nearly as spicy or tasty if you do...just sayin') 
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup light coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus 1/4 teaspoon, plus more for seasoning
4 (6-ounce) pieces halibut fillet, skin removed
Steamed spinach**
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 scallions, green part only, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Freshly ground black pepper
2 cups cooked brown rice, for serving (I always use jasmine rice because it's super delicious with the Asian flavors going on. If you want to be extra healthy go for the brown rice)

*Available in the Asian section of most supermarkets- DEFINITELY use good curry paste. It makes a big difference.
**Steam or microwave 5 cups of washed baby spinach for 2 minutes.


Full Recipe


Serves 4


If you like Asian/spicy food I really think you should try this. It definitely has some heat (at least with the curry paste I use) but the coconut milk kind of balances that. You get a lot of flavor and a really healthy meal. What more can you ask for? :)


I always serve it in a bowl. In first is the rice, which is then topped with the steamed spinach, next is the meat of choice, and then I pour the broth over everything and finish it off with cilantro and scallions (green onions). You can put each component on the table and let everyone serve themselves, but I think it looks pretty already plated.

No comments:

Post a Comment