Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Chicken Fiesta Salad

This is also from the Pillsbury Annual Recipes 2007 edition. It happens to be a Bake-Off winner.

this is missing the black beans only because I forgot to open the can
 Ingredients:
TORTILLA STRIPS
Vegetable oil for frying
4 corn tortillas

SALAD
16 leaves red or green leaf lettuce (about one head)
1 large yellow or orange bell pepper, cut into thin bite-size strips
1 large mango, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
1 large avocado, pitted, peeled, and cut into thin slices
2 large plum (Roma) tomatoes, finely chopped
1 can (15 oz.) Progresso black beans
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese (4oz.)

CHICKEN
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
1 package (1.25 oz.) Old El Paso 40% less-sodium taco seasoning mix
1 teaspoon ground chipotle chili powder (this adds a wonderfully smokey flavor to the chicken)
2 tablespoons water

DRESSING
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup lime juice
2 tablespoons honey
1/3 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves and stems
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
dash salt

Directions:
1. In 8-inch skillet, heat 1/2 inch oil for frying over medium heat. With pizza cutter, cut corn tortillas into 1/4-inch wide strips. Fry strips in batches in hot oil 1 to 2 minutes or until golden and crisp. With tongs, place fried tortilla strips  in paper towels to drain.

2. On individual plates, evenly layer lettuce, bell pepper, mango, avocado, tomatoes, beans and cheese.

3. Lightly spray 10-inch skillet with cooking spray. Add chicken strips; sprinkle with taco seasoning mix, chipotle chili powder and water. Cook uncovered over medium heat 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink in the center. Set aside.

4. In food processor or blender, process all dressing ingredients until well blended and cilantro is finely chopped. Arrange chicken evenly over salads. Drizzle about 3 tablespoons dressing over each salad. Top each evenly with tortilla strips.

Serves 4 (3 cups each)

OKAY.

First off...I've never done the tortilla strips. I think that sounds like way too much effort. If I wanted them I'd just buy them already made.
Second. I have used the Dole frozen mango (thawed, of course) rather than a fresh mango and I really like it. It's fast and the pieces aren't mushy when they thaw. Also, that way I can make this when mango isn't in season.
Third. When I don't feel like cutting chicken breasts I use chicken tenders (as seen in above picture). Sprinkling the taco seasoning, chipotle chili powder, and water over pieces of chicken that large doesn't work very well so I make a paste with the those ingredients and brush it on. It kind of creates a crust. And I use canola or olive oil because cooking spray is SO not enough to cook chicken. Do whatever you want though :)


There may be quite a few steps to this recipe, but it really doesn't take that long. Especially if you buy pre-torn lettuce, pre-grated cheese, ect. I like it because it's super flavorful and fresh tasting. I hope you like it too!

2 comments:

  1. I just made this and it was so good! I love the chicken it is great. I just love this blog, and you taste in food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evan and I just tried this for dinner. De-licious!! Thanks for creating this blog - i really, really love it :)

    ReplyDelete