Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Linguine with Shrimp Scampi-Ina Garten

I own Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa Family Style cookbook and that's where I got this recipe from. I'm sure you can look on Foodnetwork.com and it'll be there too.

My husband loves me whenever I make this. The citrus balances the butter and the red pepper flakes add just the right amount of heat. Make this for a weeknight meal or for a special dinner because it looks impressive even though it only takes about 15 minutes to make (and that's including time to boil the pasta!).

Ingredients:
Vegetable oil
Kosher salt
1 1/2 pounds linguine
6 Tbs. (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
5 Tbs. good olive oil
3 Tbs. minced garlic (9 cloves)
2 pounds large shrimp (about 32), peeled and deveined
1/2 t. freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley -I definitely recommend using fresh. It has flavor than dried and is really cheap and easy to find.
Grated zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (4 lemons) -I've used the bottled kind in a pinch and it tasted fine.
1/2 lemon, thinly sliced in half-rounds -I think this is merely for presentation and I generally only do it if I'm making it for company.
1/4 t. hot red pepper flakes

Directions:
Drizzle some oil in a large pot of boiling salted water, add the linguine, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or according to the directions on the package. (I don't usually add the oil to the pasta water. It doesn't actually keep the noodles from sticking together..even though all our mothers told us so. And in this case, you're mixing the noodles with the sauce so they won't stick together anyway.)
Meanwhile, in another large (12-inch), heavy-bottomed pan, melt the butter and olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic. Sauté for 1 minute. Be careful, the garlic burns easily! Add the shrimp, 1 tablespoon of salt, and the pepper and sauté until the shrimp have just turned pink, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from the heat, add the parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon slices, and red pepper flakes. Toss to combine.
When the pasta is done, drain the cooked linguine and then put it back in the pot. Immediately add the shrimp and sauce, toss well, and serve.

Serves 6


It doesn't get much easier than that! My only suggestion would be to be careful with how much lemon juice you use. I've made this and it turned out perfectly, but then I've also made it and it was too lemony. I'm not sure how it happened because I swear I was following the recipe but, nevertheless, it did. And it just doesn't taste as good if you go overboard with the lemon. Oh and I think that 1 1/2 pounds of pasta is a TON. A pound is more than enough I think...you can always cook more if you think you need it. I hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment