Saturday, March 5, 2011

Curry Pork Burgers with Spicy Ketchup by Sunny Anderson

I think these are amazing. Seriously. They're such a change from your typical burger and I love it. The spicy ketchup is worth making...it's sooo good.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 lb. ground pork
2 t. ground coriander
2 t. curry powder
2 t. Worcestershire sauce
1 t. cayenne pepper
3 scallions, chopped (green onions)
2 large clove garlic, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 T. olive oil
6 hamburger buns (I have been converted to OROWEAT 100% whole wheat sandwich thins...100 calories and 5 grams of fiber-y deliciousness. TRY THEM. They're so much better for you and taste great. They're usually right by the hamburger buns.)
1 head butter lettuce
2 to 3 tomatoes, sliced
Spicy Ketchup, recipe follows

Spicy Ketchup:
1 clove garlic, minced
1 T butter
1 cup ketchup
1/2 t red pepper flakes
1/4 cayenne pepper
1 scallion, finely chopped

Serves 6-8
Full Recipe

I didn't follow the recipe exactly. In my opinion, NO ONE needs to eat a burger that is nearly a 1/2 pound. And that's what you would get if you use 2 1/2 pounds of pork for only 6 patties. I think you can make 8 patties from 2 pounds of meat...but that may just be me...Anyway, I cut the recipe in half (used 1 pound of meat) and adjusted the spices accordingly (you don't have to be exact) and it turned out DELICIOUS. Oh, and I have found that ground pork can be difficult to find. Just ask your friendly butcher to grind some up for you if you can't find it because I think beef might have too strong of a flavor for this.

Also, I didn't have any fresh garlic (gasp! that has never happened) so I just used garlic powder. The conversions for cloves is on the container (thank goodness!) and it actually made this easier to make. In fact, I recommend using garlic powder for the spicy ketchup. I just stirred everything together (minus the butter because I wasn't cooking the garlic) in a little glass bowl and popped it in the microwave to help the flavors meld. I didn't have to use a pot, which means one less dish to clean up! And we all like that, don't we?

As for condiments...I put the spicy ketchup, peperoncini, tomatoes, and thinly sliced red onion on mine. YUM! The hubby put the ketchup, pickles, cheddar cheese, and mayo and he liked it quite a bit. I think crumbling a little feta on top would have been a nice addition. Have fun with these...though the burger does taste like curry so I would suggest staying along those lines. Do whatever you want though!

No comments:

Post a Comment