Thursday, April 21, 2011

Brisket Tacos with Red Cabbage

This recipe is from the Food Network Magazine and it's by Alex Guarnaschelli. I've never made any of her recipes before, but this was a great way to start. Even though it takes a bit of time...It. Is. Amazing.

If you bring these tacos to a cinco de Mayo party you'll be a hit, I promise. Oh and the red cabbage slaw is a must. The caggabe is cold, tangy, and crunchy and pairs perfectly with the warm and tender meat. YUM.

Ingredients:
2 heads garlic, unpeeled and halved crosswise, plus 6 cloves garlic
2 T. extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt
4 to 4 1/2 pounds brisket
Freshly ground pepper
1 T. smoked paprika
1 T. chili powder
3 T. canola oil
3 large red onions, halved and thinly sliced
1/4 c. packed dark brown sugar
2 T. apple cider vinegar
1 c. dry red wine
2 c. beef stock
2 bay leaves
16-20 small flour tortillas
Red cabbage slaw, for topping

Full Recipe

Serves 8-10

It takes about 50 minutes of prep and cooking before you place the brisket in the oven to finish cooking and then about another 25 minutes once you take it out of the oven in order to reduce the sauce and rest the meat prior to slicing it. This is not that difficult it just takes a bit of planning ahead.

Also, make the cabbage slaw (please! It's so good!) right after you put the brisket in the oven so it has time to soak up all those yummy, tangy flavors.

If you make this (or any of my recipes) please comment on it. I know I love this recipe, but I would like to know what everyone thinks!

1 comment:

  1. This looks like one of those recipes I'm hesitant to try (just because I love regular tacos so much I rarely deviate) but end up loving. Love the color presentation of the cabbage.

    ReplyDelete