Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Chipotle Black Bean Soup

I try to have a "meatless Monday" (where I prepare vegetarian or fish dishes) about once a week, though it's not always on Mondays. I got this recipe from an advertisement in the Food Network Magazine and was very pleased with how it turned out the first time I made it.

Ingredients
3 cans (15.5 oz. each) GOYA Black Beans, divided
1 chipotle, plus 2 t. sauce from 1 can GOYA Chipotle Chilies in Adobo Sauce
1 GOYA Chicken Bouillon mixed with 2 c. water, or 2 c. chicken stock (use vegetable stock if you want to make it vegetarian)
2 T. GOYA Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
2 t. GOYA Mined Garlic, or 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 t. GOYA Ground Cumin
1/2 c. sour cream
1 small tomato, finely chopped
2 T. roughly chopped fresh cilantro

Full Recipe

Serves 6

Okay. So you don't really have to use GOYA brand everything, but because it's a GOYA recipe I wanted to put it up exactly as is appears in the ad. (minus the vegetable stock comment...that's all me).

Some things to consider:
-I used reduced sodium chicken stock and black beans because I like to control the sodium content of my food.
-I also doubled the amount of chipotle chilies because I wanted my soup a little spicier. Don't worry, I'm not a heat fiend like my mom...if that means anything to you.
-I don't like green pepper so I used one whole red pepper. Bonus: I didn't have half a green and red pepper left over to worry about using.
-I incorporated the chopped tomatoes into the soup before serving and it turned out just fine. I did this solely because I knew my husband wouldn't touch them if they were a garnish and I wanted to force more nutrition on him. :)
-The sour cream is totally optional but I do like the creaminess it adds to the soup, especially if you opt to make a spicier version. Use the low-fat kind if you want to keep it a bit healthier.

This is SUPER easy to make and is a great main dish because it's nice and hearty. I hope you like it!

1 comment: