Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sweet Apple Quick Bread

This is from Retro Baking by Maureen Fischer. I like to think of it as the apple version of banana bread.
Ingredients:
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. sugar
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 c. (2 medium) apples, peeled and shredded
1/2 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. milk
2 T. orange peel, grated
1 T. corn syrup
2 eggs
1/2 nuts, chopped

Directions:
In large bowl blend all ingredients except nuts. Beat 3 minutes at medium speed. Stir in nuts. Pour into greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees 50 to 60 minutes.

Makes 1 loaf


Ever since making the Whole-Wheat Cinnamon-Raisin bread I've been on a baking kick. This stuff is pretty good; I especially liked the addition of orange zest. If you like banana bread you will probably like this. I used pecans and liked the outcome. Walnuts might be good too, but the bread has a mild taste so I think I'd prefer pecans. Oh, and I definitely had to cook it an hour or more. I got distracted with the little one so I'm not exactly sure how long I let it go. I just used the handy, dandy toothpick to check it and it was cooked to perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment