Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Fall Salad by Tyler Florence, 2007

I know this says it's a Fall salad, but I think it's good any time of year. It's sweet, it's salty, it's delicious!


Ingredients:
Candied pecans:
2 T. unsalted butter
2 T. packed light brown sugar (I used dark because that's what I had)
1/2 c. raw pecans

Maple-balsamic dressing:
1 small shallot, finely chopped
1 t. Dijon mustard
2 t. balsamic vinegar
1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
2 t. maple syrup (use the real stuff)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 head endive, separated leaves
2 hearts frisee, hand torn
1 large radicchio, torn leaves
1 red pear, sliced (use whatever pear you want/can find in your grocery store)
1/4 c. shaved Parmesan

Full recipe

I encourage everyone to try out this salad. It's actually easier than it looks. The candied pecans only take a few minutes (and are such a nice addition) and if you buy pre-washed and pre-torn lettuce it cuts down your prep time quite a bit. I usually use a mix of greens that include frisee and radicchio but, honestly, use whatever you want.

Definitely use some good Parmesan for this one. Buy a block of cheese and use a peeler to make beautiful little curls like this
and everyone will be so impressed. I receive compliments on this salad every time I bring it to a dinner party and I'm sure you will too.

Also, don't be afraid to mix up the kind of nuts or cheese you use. Be creative. That is what makes cooking fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment