Thursday, February 3, 2011

Whole-Wheat Cinnamon-Raisin Bread by Ellie Krieger for FN Mag

I have been obsessed with this recipe since I saw it in the Food Network Magazine. I made it twice in less than a week...it's that good.
Picture of Whole-Wheat Cinnamon-Raisin Bread Recipe
This isn't my picture. It's from foodnetwork.com but this is exactly how my loafs turned out.
Ingredients:
2 c. bread flour, plus more for dusting
2 c. whole-wheat flour
1/4 c. nonfat dry milk
1 large egg
2 T. canola oil, plus more for brushing
3 T. honey
2 t. salt
1 1/2 t. instant dry yeast
Cooking spray
2/3 c. raisins
1 T. plus 1 t. ground cinnamon (I didn't measure the cinnamon out, just sprinkle on however much you want)
1/3 c. packed dark brown sugar

Makes two loafs

In the future, if the recipe is on the Internet I will provide a link that will take you to it. That way I don't have to type out all the instructions and it makes it easier for you to print. Of course, if it's from a cookbook I will make the entire recipe available on the blog. Either way, I will always provide a list of ingredients. I don't know about you, but I always look at the ingredient list before deciding whether or not to make something.

For the full recipe go here

The instructions are pretty clear. The only thing I think might be confusing for anyone who doesn't make bread very often is the part where it says, "Let it rise." and then continues on. I think it should say, "Let it rise:" (note the colon). You don't want to let the dough rise and then transfer it to the greased bowl to rise another hour and a half...that's a little too much rising. I could be overly concerned and no one who reads that will make that mistake, but just in case :)

Also, if you don't have dry milk or don't want to have to buy it especially for this recipe just substitute the warm water with warm skim milk. You can use whatever milk you want, but sticking with skim means that each slice has only around 99 calories (according to Food Network Magazine)! Of course, if you eat half a loaf in one sitting it's a moot point. And this bread is so moist, soft, and perfectly sweet that you might not be able to stop yourself!

1 comment:

  1. I get the Food Network Magazine too and I have had my eye on this recipe. Now I'll make it for sure. Ellie Krieger is my hero. I even have a photo with her up on my facebook. Love the blog! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete